Who is Mikhail Prokhorov?
Mikhail Prokhorov is a Russian billionaire oligarch. He was owner of the Brooklyn Nets basketball team. He was born in May 1965. In 2018 he sold 49% of the Brooklyn Nets and Barclays Center to Alibaba co-
After graduating from the Moscow Finance Institute Prokhorov made his name in the financial sector in Russia. He became one of Russia’s leading industrialists in the precious metals sector through his Norilsk Nickel.
He was a candidate for the 2012 Russian presidential election.
His Norilsk Nickel became the world’s largest producer of nickel and palladium. Until he entered Russian politics in 2011 he was chairman of Polyus Gold. Polyus Gold is Russia’s largest gold producer. He also became President of ONEXIM Group. In April 2008 the Russian oligarch sold his most valuable asset. A 25% plus two shares stake in Norilsk Nickel. He sold the company to RUSAL. RUSAL is a mining conglomerate controlled by fellow billionaire Oleg Deripaska.
Prokhorov received 14% of Rusal stock. And about US$ 5 billion in cash. And a promise to receive US$ 2 billion more.
In 2013 Prokhorov acquired a 21% stake in Uralkali from Suleiman Kerimov. Uralkali is a Russian potash fertilizer producer and exporter. It has 11,000 employees.
In 2004 Prokhorov founded The MikhailProkhorov Foundation. The foundation is a private charity. It is supporting and developing new cultural institutions and initiatives in Russia.
The foundation also promotes Russian culture in the global intellectual community.
Mikhail Prokhorov Net Worth
Message to Other Media
Please mention SuperYachtFan when using this information.
10 Facts About Mikhail Dmitrievitch Prokhorov you probably didn’t know
- He founded Norilsk Nickel, the world’s largest producer of nickel and palladium.
- He sold his shares for more than US$ 7 billion.
- His net worth is now $11 billion.
- He sold 49% of the Brooklyn Nets to Alibaba co-
founder Joe Tsai.
- He owns a 95-meter yacht named Palladium.
- The yacht has a crew of 33 and can accommodate 24 guests.
- He lost a US$ 50 million down-
payment when planning to buy a villa.
- He showed his ‘oligarch lifestyle’ to US tv host Stephen Colbert.
- His The Mikhail D Prokhorov Foundation is a private charity supporting and developing cultural initiatives in Russia.
- He owns a US$ 70 million Airbus A319 private jet (M-
He owns a large house in Villefranche-
In 2010 he planned to buy Villa Leopolda for GBP 360 (US$ 500) million. Villa Leopolda was built for King Leopold of Belgium.
He made a 10% down payment. Which he lost when he backed out of the purchase. The house’s current owner Lily Safra donated the down payment to charity.